IEEE P1076.1 Working Group Telco Meeting Minutes - June 26, 2013, 8am PDT (15:00 GMT)

Status: approved by WG on August 14, 2013


Attendees

  • Ernst Christen, Mentor Graphics (WG chair)
  • Alain Vachoux, EPFL
  • David Smith, Synopsys Inc.
  • Vipin Ahuja, Avid Technology
  • Joachim Haase, Fraunhofer (note taker)

This was a web meeting. The main discussion topics of the meeting are covered by the meeting slides. The minutes complement the meeting slides.

Agenda

  • Call to order
  • Approval of agenda
  • Administrative issues
    • Minutes of May 15, 2013 meeting
    • Review of IEEE patent policy
  • Project status and updates
    • LRM plan
    • PDE support
  • Next meeting
  • AOB
  • Adjourn

Call to order

Ernst opened the meeting and welcomed the attendees at 8:04. Quorum was reached.

Approval of agenda

Alain made a motion to approve the agenda, seconded by Vipin. No objections. Agenda approved.

Administrative issues

Approval of May 15 minutes
David moved that the minutes be accepted, Alain seconded. No objections. Minutes approved.

Patent policy
Ernst pointed to the IEEE patent policy and asked the attendees to visit the slides listed in the presentation to study it. Nobody wanted to see the slides.

Project status and update

LRM plan
Alain informed on the status of the LRM activities. Clauses 1 to 7 are consolidated in a new Framemaker document based on different sources. The corresponding pdf document is available in the P1076.1-201X LRM editing member-only area. Alain intends to make the mif sources available if necessary.

In the following discussion, David pointed out that the revisions of the 1076.1 (VHDL-AMS) and 1076-2008 (VHDL) LRM documents must be consistent. Ernst will contact Jim Lewis (Chair of the IEEE VHDL Standards Working Group) to clarify how this can be assured. Alain recommended to use a revision control system that allows a flexible merging of the documents. Both groups should have access to the updated documents.

Ernst asked Alain what kind of feedback he expects. At the moment, comments should be added to the pdf document provided in the P1076.1-201X LRM editing area and send back to Alain. Furthermore, it was suggested to provide a way that offers an opportunity to observe the LRM discussion (e.g. a blog on the TWiki site).

Partial Differential Equation Support
Vipin presented his slides on PDE support for VHDL-AMS. There is no general algorithm for PDE handling and a lot of dedicated applications. Vipin remarked that Tom Kazmierski's approach bases on splitting the PDEs to ODEs to work on within the existing solvers. The benefit of a language support vs a pre-processor solution for handling PDEs has to be investigated.

In the discussion, Ernst remarked that we have to restrict the scope of the PDE activities. David pointed out to Modelica activities for looking at PDE in physical system solvers. He explained that a typical problem for PDE application can be the description of rotating machines. A last topic was how to measure the success of PDE extensions in VHDL-AMS: How many applications? Would they be supported by tools in the future?

Ernst proposed to continue the discussion in the next meeting. The group should put some questions together regarding the scope of the PDE project and kind of problems that occur in simulation studies.

Other projects
There was no discussion on other projects.

Next steps

Next regular working group telco will be on August 14, 2013 at 8am PDT (15:00 UTC, 16:00 CET).

AOB

None.

Adjourn

Ernst thanked the participants and adjourned the meeting at 8:35.

-- JoachimHaase - 2013-06-27

Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
PDFpdf PPT1_PDE_Language_Support.pdf manage 105.1 K 2013-06-27 - 09:56 JoachimHaase Slides PDE Support in VHDL-AMS by Vipin Ahuja - 2013-06-25
PDFpdf mtg_slides130626.pdf manage 66.8 K 2013-06-28 - 18:57 JoachimHaase IEEE P1076.1 WG Meeting slides - 2013-06-26
Topic revision: r8 - 2013-09-04 - 08:31:45 - JoachimHaase
 
Copyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback