IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of April 16, 2012

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Live-Meeting

Participants

  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, Cadence DR
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys DR
    • Ray Martin, Xilinx DR
    • Bassam Tabbara, Synopsys
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys DRA
    • Jarek Kaczynski, Aldec DR
    • Joe Daniels, Self
    • John Shields, Mentor DR
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys DRA
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys DRA

  • Not Attending
    • Premduth Vidyanandan, Xilinx
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST
    • Albert Chiang, Synopsys
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence DRA
    • David Pena, Cadence
    • Karlton Lau, Xilinx
    • Gary Delp, Accellera/Silver Loon Systems
    • Bin Dai, Xilinx
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence DRA
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys

Agenda

  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 04/02/2012
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Inter-operability Issues
  8. License Management
  9. Key Management
  10. Rights Management
  11. Common Rights and Visibility
  12. Work Plan
  13. Other Business
  14. Adjourn

Minutes

Attendance/Quorum

We have 5/6 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by Jarek, seconded by Dave G. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Dave G moved and Jarek seconded the approval of the April 2, 2011 minutes. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items.

Liaison Reports

Joe Daniels reported to be waiting for counter-signed contracts from IEEE Professional Services.

Inter-operability

Jarek reported no additional activity since the last meeting.

License Management

Dave G presented an initial presentation on a licensing proxy model. John commented that there is a semantic model regarding when the license is checked, and details on that are needed to understand the implementation overhead.

Steven asked about the representation of public keys for the proxy, whether X.509 certificates or named keys should be supported. Dave noted that he had concerns about hurdles for new participants and we need to discuss that in more detail in a future meeting.

Dave will post the presentation slides to the private working group area.

Key Management

Dave G introduced an offline/off-reflector discussion regarding best practices for re-use of session keys.

John explained that his understanding was that the session of the encryption tool controlled the selection of a session key. The requirement for transformative tools to encrypt using the session key of the original design is acceptable given the requirement for those tools to not regenerate key blocks. The keys for licensing proxies should however be different from those used to protect the data blocks.

Jarek expressed the concern that re-use of the symmetric key would endanger the security of the assymetric key-pairs. He acknowledged that reuse of the session key with bit-wise copies of the key block reduced the risk of that exposure, and that we should document these best practices in our recommendations.

Steven and John discussed the value of using random IV for each data block, digest, control block or other use of a shared session key.

Rights Management

No incremental discussion at this meeting. Dave G and Parminder are developing revisions aligned with John's balloting comments.

Common Rights and Visibility

Work Plan

Task Requirements/White Paper Writer-ready Specification
Use Model 02-Jul-2008 ???
Trust Model ??? ???
Interoperability 24-Aug-2009 26-Jan-2010
License Management 19-Apr-2011 ???
Visibility Management 23-Jul-2010 ???
Key Management 18-Oct-2010 12-Aug-2011
Rights Control Structures 27-Jun-2011 ???
Common Rights 23-Jul-2011 ???

Other Business

Next Meeting

The next P1735 meeting is scheduled for April 30, 2012 at 16:00UTC.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 04/16/2012
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Meeting Schedule
  8. Inter-operability Issues
  9. License Management
  10. Key Management
  11. Rights Management
  12. Common Rights and Visibility
  13. Work Plan
  14. Other Business
  15. Adjourn

Adjournment

Motion by Dave G, second by Ray. Approved by acclamation at 17:17UTC

Approval

These minutes are unapproved.

StevenDovich - 2012-04-16

Topic revision: r2 - 2012-04-16 - 16:19:17 - StevenDovich
 
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback