IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of January 12, 2009

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Webex


  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, Cadence
    • Scott Baeder, Cadence/EDAC
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys
    • Karlton Lau, Xilinx
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys
    • John Shields, Mentor
    • Premduth Vidyanandan, Xilinx
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST

  • Not Attending
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys
    • Bin Dai, Xilinx
    • Hamid Agah, Xilinx
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys
    • Gary Delp, LSI


  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 12/15/2008
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. EDAC Anti-Piracy Presentation
  8. Recommended Algorithms (AES-256)
  9. License Management
  10. Key Management Issues
  11. Other Business
  12. Adjourn



We have 4/4 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by Karlton, seconded by Dave G. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Duth moved and Michael seconded the approval of the December 15, 2008 minutes. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items.

Liaison Reports

No report presented.

EDAC Anti-Piracy Presentation

Scott Baeder reported on EDAC work in License Management and Anti-Piracy.

John asked about IP security where secrets are hidden in binaries, and about the performance costs of adequate anti-tampering detection. Given the costs to implement anti-tampering, a real concern is whether or not the resulting protection actually works in practice. Some of the evidence suggests that revenue from countries with significant piracy can be increased with anti-tampering investments. Scott pointed out that the value of the protected IP needs to be assess for whether successful piracy will be catastrophic, or just depress the revenue.

Dave G pointed out that P1735 is moving IP from a contract-based distribution into more of a software ecosystem. That target ecosystem attracts piracy risks to a larger extent. Scott also linked the scale of target markets as a factor (full custom design vs. ASIC vs FPGA). The value of the IP does increase the risk, but he noted that most of the value of anti-piracy efforts is to prevent inappropriate use by legitimate (honest) customers.


Motion by Karlton, second by John. Approved by acclamation at 11:37 pm CDT


These minutes were approved at the January 19, 2009 meeting.

-- StevenDovich - 19 Jan 2009

Topic revision: r5 - 2009-03-09 - 15:50:43 - StevenDovich
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback