IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of October 29, 2012

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Live-Meeting


  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, (chair) Cadence DR
    • Jeff Fox, Altera DR
    • Ray Martin, Xilinx DR
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys DRA
    • John Shields, Mentor DR
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys DR
    • Joe Daniels, P1735 Technical Editor
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys DRA

  • Not Attending
    • Krista Gluchoski, IEEE Professional Services
    • Jarek Kaczynski, Aldec DR
    • Karlton Lau, Xilinx
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys DRA
    • Premduth Vidyanandan, Xilinx
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST
    • Albert Chiang, Synopsys
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence DRA
    • David Pena, Cadence
    • Gary Delp, Accellera/Silver Loon Systems
    • Bin Dai, Xilinx
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence DRA
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys


  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 10/15/2012
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Inter-operability Issues
  8. License Management
  9. Key Management
  10. Rights Management
  11. Common Rights and Visibility
  12. Work Plan
  13. Other Business
  14. Adjourn



We have 4/4 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by John, seconded by Dave G. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Dave G moved and John seconded the approval of the October 15, 2012 minutes. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items.

Liaison Reports

John reported no encryption activity in P1076 in the past two weeks.

Steven reported on invoicing activity, and recommended that entities budget for half of the 2012 assessment in 2013...


No discussion.

License Management

No discussion.

Key Management

John commented on ambiguity regarding what constitutes a unique key. Which of the pragmas are required to uniquely distinguish a key? Is key_method a legitimate discriminator, or does that constitute a semantic error. This needs to be considered in the context of X.509 certificates and the encryption method requirements that flow from there.

John noted that we need to reconcile the Key Management recommendations with our agreed use case. The out-of-band exchange concepts need to be tied to when you would apply those exchange methods with respect to our use-cases.

Rights Management

Dave G reviewed recent discussions on calculating digests over the cleartext common block. License management issues have languished while the digest issues have been discussed.

Common Rights and Visibility

No discussion.

Work Plan

Task Requirements/White Paper Writer-ready Specification
Use Model 02-Jul-2008 ???
Trust Model ??? ???
Interoperability 24-Aug-2009 26-Jan-2010
License Management 19-Apr-2011 ???
Visibility Management 23-Jul-2010 ???
Key Management 18-Oct-2010 12-Aug-2011
Rights Control Structures 27-Jun-2011 ???
Common Rights 23-Jul-2011 ???

Steven reported that he will be representing P1735 interests at IPSOC 2012 in December. Planned topics include: Draft ToC, Digital Envelope use case, Trust model, WG recruiting.

Joe reported that he expects to deliver a draft at the end of November based on the material available at that time.

Other Business

Next Meeting

The next P1735 meeting is scheduled for November 12, 2012 at 15:00UTC.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 10/29/2012
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Meeting Schedule
  8. Inter-operability Issues
  9. License Management
  10. Key Management
  11. Rights Management
  12. Common Rights and Visibility
  13. Work Plan
  14. Other Business
  15. Adjourn


Motion by Dave G second by John. Approved by acclamation at 16:06UTC


These minutes are unapproved.

-- StevenDovich - 2012-10-29

Topic revision: r3 - 2012-11-12 - 16:03:24 - StevenDovich
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback