IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of November 1, 2010

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Live-Meeting


  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, Cadence
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys
    • Albert Chiang, Synopsys
    • John Shields, Mentor
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys
    • Jerek Kaczynski, Aldec
    • Joe Daniels, IEEE Standards Association
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys
    • Ray Martin, Xilinx
    • Karlton Lau, Xilinx
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys

  • Not Attending
    • Premduth Vidyanandan, Xilinx
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence
    • Gary Delp, Accellera/Silver Loon Systems
    • Bin Dai, Xilinx
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys


  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 10/04/2010
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Inter-operability Issues
  8. License Management
  9. Key Management
  10. Rights Management
  11. Work Plan
  12. Other Business
  13. Adjourn



We have 5/6 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by John, seconded by Dave G. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Dave G moved and Michael seconded the approval of the October 18, 2010 minutes. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items.

Liaison Reports

Steven reported that P1647 expressed an interest in adding IP encryption support to their standard. Given where they are in the draft approval process, they will probably begin the discussion next year.


John reported an update to the version 1 FAQ.

License Management

Key Management

Rights Management

Dave Graubart and Parminder Gill presented a set of requirements for rights management. Steven asked for clarification on the narrowed scope of public keys. Dave noted that there were two possible motivations:

  1. Creating a close binding of rights to a specific tool
  2. Ensuring that IP providers do not risk a verification vulnerability when tool vendors release additional tools that use a common key.

Steven also noted that there is a IP security concern with extending encryption support to languages with open-source tools. John added that the cost of implementing encryption support is low, but implementation cost for decrypting IP is significantly higher.

John asked if the model included controls that applied to sets of tools, or if tools were intended to stand alone. Dave acknowledged that the key_block to control_block relationship is one-to-one.

Jerek expressed concern that adding known-text into the key_block would increase the risk of cryptanalysis. John also noted that reverse-engineering threats on the tool are easier opportunities for cracking IP.

%ACTION{ closed="2010-11-19" closer="" created="2010-11-01" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" notify="" state="closed" uid="000008" who="Main.DaveGraubart" }% Review control_block/key_block vulnerabilities to cryptanalysis %ENDACTION%

%ACTION{ closed="2010-11-03" closer="" created="2010-11-01" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" notify="" state="closed" uid="000009" who="Main.ParminderGill" }% Upload presentation and discussion framework to TWiki


Work Plan

Other Business

Steven and Joe presented the Tech Editor funding issue. The projected cost based on an estimate of the document complexity would be between $25K to $75K. Joe feels the lower end of the range is more likely.

Next Meeting

The next P1735 meeting is scheduled for November 15, 2010 at 16:00UTC.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 10/04/2010
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Meeting Schedule
  8. Inter-operability Issues
  9. License Management
  10. Key Management
  11. Rights Management
  12. Work Plan
  13. Other Business
  14. Adjourn


Motion by Michael, second by John. Approved by acclamation at 16:29UTC


These minutes were approved at the November 15, 2010 meeting.

-- StevenDovich - 2010-11-15

Topic revision: r6 - 2011-01-10 - 16:54:17 - StevenDovich
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback