IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of March 23, 2009

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Live-Meeting


  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, Cadence
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys
    • Karlton Lau, Xilinx
    • Bin Dai, Xilinx
    • John Shields, Mentor

  • Not Attending
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST
    • Premduth Vidyanandan, Xilinx
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys
    • Gary Delp, LSI


  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 3/92009
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Meeting Schedule
  8. Recommended Algorithms (AES-256)
  9. License Management
  10. Key Management
  11. Inter-operability testing
  12. Other Business
  13. Adjourn



We have 3/4 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by Karlton, seconded by Bill. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Michael moved and Bin seconded the approval of the March 9, 2009 minutes. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items.

Liaison Reports

Steven reported that the P1800 ballot has closed. Our proposed changes for initialization vector blocks appear to be in good shape.

John reported that there were no papers presented at DVCon this year on IP Encryption. He did have several conversations on the topic while at the conference. Clearly if the topic is not on the technical program, there is limited visibility at the conference.

Recommended Algorithms

The Recommendations page has been updated to include AES-256. Bill moved, Michael seconded approval of the changes to the working document. Motion is approved.

%ACTION{ closed="2009-04-06" closer="Main.StevenDovich" created="2009-03-23" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" state="closed" uid="000058" who="Main.StevenDovich" }% Update the font colors per the motion

License Management

Michael reviewed the differences between the secured function call and socket based approaches to extensible license management. The burden on the IP Consumer doesn't change substantially. For the IP Producer, the principal difference is whether the work is to implement a shared library that calls the license manager versus a server that calls the license manager. In either case the same encryption risks are present. A reference implementation can be provided for either case.

Key Management

Nitin reviewed his recent update on the mail reflector.

John noted that the statement around generating a pair of keys using any standard mechanism is not likely to be a single option. In the interest of inter-operability we will need to be more explicit about our recommendations.

Inter-operability Testing

Postponed until next meeting.

Other Business


Motion by Dave G., second by John. Approved by acclamation at 11:29 pm CDT


These minutes were approved at the April 6, 2009 meeting.

-- StevenDovich - 06 Apr 2009

Topic revision: r4 - 2009-04-20 - 15:52:51 - StevenDovich
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback