IEEE P1735 Working Group Meeting of July 30, 2008

Meeting Info

Conference Bridge and Webex

Participants

  • Attending
    • Steven Dovich, Cadence
    • Ruchi Tyagi, Cadence
    • Dave Clemans, Synopsys
    • Michael Smith, Synopsys
    • William A Hanna, Boeing
    • Meera Srinivasan, Synopsys
    • Parminder Gill, Synopsys
    • John Shields, Mentor
    • Nitin Khurana, Cadence
    • Dave Graubart, Synopsys

  • Not Attending
    • Nick Sgoupis, CAST
    • Syed Huq, Cisco
    • Jim Robinson, Synopsys
    • NSS Subramanian, Cadence
    • David Tran, Synopsys
    • Gary Delp, LSI

Agenda

  1. Determine Quorum
  2. Patent slides
  3. Approve agenda
  4. Approval of Meeting minutes from 7/23/2008
  5. Action Items Status
  6. Liaison Reports
  7. Work Plan
  8. Encryption Algorithms
  9. Other Business

Minutes

Attendance/Quorum

We have 4/5 eligible entities, and have a working quorum.

Patent Policy

The Patent slides were offered for review.

No new claims were disclosed at the call for essential patent claims.

Agenda Approval

Motion by Michael, seconded by Ruchi, Meera abstains. Motion is approved.

Previous Minutes

Bill moved and Dave C. seconded the approval of the July 23, 2008 minutes. Parminder and Meera abstain. The motion was approved.

Action Item Review

Steven reviewed the open action items. John has closed his action item to create a Glossary page. Everyone is encouraged to contribute definitions for review and approval.

Liaison Reports

P1076 recirculation ballot is out for a 1 week review.

Work Plan

Steven reported on discussions with participants on other encryption related standards, and is planning to schedule a presentation on Key Management standards activity.

Encryption Algorithms

Dave G. reviewed the results of previous discussions around algorithm recommendations.

  1. Complete enough to ensure inter-operability
  2. Freely available with open reference implementations
  3. One or more of the algorithms should be considered strong
  4. Should include both symmetric and assymetric algorithms
  5. Should one or more algorithms for encryption, digest, and encoding recommendations

Encryption
  • des-cbc, aes128-cbc, and 3des-cbc should be required symmetric algorithms
  • rsa, DiffieHellman, and DSA should be required assymetric algorithms
  • Tool Secret Key use case only requires a single supported assymetric algorithm for Digital Envelopes.
  • IP Author Secret Key use case will require implementation of all required algorithms because the algorithm choice is in the hands of the IP author.
%ACTION{ closed="2008-08-27" closer="" created="2008-07-30" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" notify="Main.StevenDovich" state="closed" uid="000033" who="Main.RuchiTyagi" }% Find standard reference identifiers for Diffie-Hellman and DSA algorithms
Encoding
  • base64 should be required
  • raw has academic value but low practical value. Exclude from recommendation.
  • quoted-printable is only of value for mostly ASCII data. This is not the case for encrypted data. Exclude from recommendation.
  • uuencode is largely historical, but is less efficient than base64. Exclude from recommendation.

Digest
  • md5 and sha1 from the current standards are sufficiently available, but have some open questions regarding strength.
  • We should also look at the stronger digest functions for open reference implementations.

%ACTION{ closed="2008-08-25" closer="" created="2008-07-30" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" notify="Main.StevenDovich" state="closed" uid="000032" who="Main.DavidClemans" }% Add digest to the glossary %ACTION{ closed="2008-08-06" closer="" created="2008-07-30" creator="Main.StevenDovich" due="" notify="" state="closed" uid="000034" who="Main.JohnShields" }% <<EOF Recommend a strong digest function with open reference implementation.

It appears that SHA-256 is a good candidate. It has no known weaknesses and there are readily available open source implementations,e.g., openssl and the pkgtools/digest application maintained at www.pkgsrc.org. I would recommend we add this to MD5 and SHA-1. I note that MD5 and SHA-1 are already required algorithms in P1800 and 1076.

-- JohnShields - 06 Aug 2008 - 16:56 EOF

Future Steps
The above agreement should be formally approved so that draft content can be written. That action is deferred until next meeting so that everyone has a chance to consider the implications of the proposed recommendations.

Adjournment

Motion by Dave G., second by Michael. Approved by acclamation at 1:24 pm CDT

Approval

These minutes were approved at the August 6, 2008 meeting.

-- StevenDovich - 06 Aug 2008

Topic revision: r7 - 2008-08-27 - 10:36:01 - RuchiTyagi
 
Copyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback