IEEE P1076.1 Working Group Telco Meeting Minutes - April 16, 2014, 8am PDT (15:00 UTC)

Status: approved by WG on May 14, 2014


Attendees

  • Ernst Christen, Mentor Graphics (WG chair)
  • Alain Vachoux, EPFL (LRM editor)
  • Zhichao Deng, Synopsys (Vice-Chair)
  • David Smith, Synopsys (Treasurer)
  • Joachim Haase, Fraunhofer IIS/EAS (note taker)

This was a web meeting. The main discussion topics of the meeting are covered by the meeting slides. The minutes complement the meeting slides.

Agenda

  • Call to order
  • Approval of agenda
  • Administrative issues
    • Minutes of February 12, 2014 meeting
    • Review of IEEE patent policy
  • Project discussion
    • Reflector discussion
    • Postponed simultaneous procedural statement
  • Next meeting
  • AOB
  • Adjourn

Call to order

Ernst started the meeting at 8:04 am PST. We have a quorum.

Approval of agenda

No changes. David moves, Joachim seconds.

Administrative issues

Approval of February 12, 2014 minutes
The February 12, 2014 minutes were approved without changes, with a motion by Alain seconded by Zhichao. The March 12, 2014 meeting was cancelled.

Patent policy
Presentation was skipped. The IEEE server with the document was down for maintanance.

Others
A mail concerning financial issues was sent to David and Ernst. Ernst will contact Victor Berman to clarify what to do.

Project discussion

Reflector discussion
Ernst initiated at the end of March a discussion about the Current Language Revision via the mailing list.

Alain wrote in his contribution to this discussion that we have very limited resources, and he thinks the projects "alignment to VHDL-2008, VHPI extension, and integration of 1076.1.1" are what we have to achieve at a strict minimum. It would be also useful to have a common LRM editing platform with the P1076 WG.

Ernst mentioned that there was a low participation in the discussion about the Current Language Revision. He asked what should be concluded and tried to give an answer. He said that the use of an AMS language is different from a digital language. Vendors drive the use of the language. David said that users and vendors are not interested in changes. Ernst believes that kind of changes that are of interest are new functionality, catching up to VHDL and IP protection. External names that refer to an object are needed for a better test-bench management. David added VHPI as a useful feature. Alain said that the main effort should be provide not fully supported statements in the tools. Thus, more consolidation is necessary.

Ernst will set up a vote about the current language revision.

Postponed simultaneous procedural statement
Ernst continued the discussion about the postponed simultaneous procedural statement from the February 12, 2014 meeting. Joachim summarized some consequences for the access to last values quantities. To obtain a better understanding of the needs, David distributed a link to a Modelica paper about the Preisach model.

LRM status
Alain reminded of his contribution to the reflector discussion. He recently learned that the IEEE has the plan to support "XML-based editing" and he is not sure what this does actually mean and how far it could be of importance for our work. The question came up: How we can ensure to find a way into the future. Therefore, there was a discussion concerning the consequences of using structured Framemaker. David pointed out that the availability of structured Framemaker has changed the situation. Details on structured Framemaker can be found in a mail sent by Zhichao after the meeting. Alain suggested making some tests with structured Framemaker. Ernst proposed to compare generated 1076.1 and 1076 tests with the published text. Regular Framemaker text for IEEE should be generated from structured sources.

Standard sources are available on the Working Group Documents (Private Area) site.

The discussion was no finished yet.

Next meeting

Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 8.00am PDT (15:00 UTC)

AOB

No other business.

Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at 9:38 am PDT.

-- JoachimHaase - 2014-05-10

Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
PDFpdf mtg_slides140416.pdf manage 493.2 K 2014-05-10 - 16:26 JoachimHaase IEEE P1076.1 WG Meeting slides 2014-04-16
Topic revision: r5 - 2016-01-26 - 18:31:36 - ErnstChristen
 
Copyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback